Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Discourteous

It is not often that I come out to someone. First, they have to earn the trust and be part of the confidante club. Then, things have to be real solid when it comes to trust so I can keep my peace and I can find the person is trustworthy. And also, it should be established that the person does not mind me being who I am.

I was appalled to say the least.

We were checking in to a hotel in Page, AZ. There was just the two of us. We wanted to split the bill and save $20 so we picked a room with a single king size bed. When we were ready to sleep after dinner, he came in and he picked up 3 pillows and split the space on the bed in halves. He said one side was his and the other was mine.

It was a surprise.

The only reason you tell someone about yourself is so you can feel protected and feel they will understand circumstances and not cause you to feel perturbed. But he apparently was using his knowledge to do just the same.

Why would someone be that way when they know? Was he aware of what he was doing? Does he know what discrimination is? Does he comprehend his actions?

What did I do about it?

I was too shocked to respond when this happened. I was too weary that day to care that I picked one of the pillows for myself and left 2 pillows between us. It hit me on the return trip real bad after I settled down in my seat on the first flight. I wept, inconsolably. I did not understand why he would do it. And I thought I was done. But after I got on my connection and settled down, it hit me hard, again. And I wept.

He and I have been friends since high school - I always claimed him to be my best friend from high school. I believed he would be understanding, that he checked all points to be a decent confidante. Did I not have enough check points or was I careless in considering him to be trustworthy?

There are not a lot of people I am open to. And among the gay people I am open to, there are no real friends there - I take a lot of time to trust in someone.

This was unprecedented. I never expected something like this to happen. It has me mollified. I am struggling to wrap my head around this. I feel like I lost my best friend to some disease and I am without a real friend today.

If only people understood.

No comments:

Post a Comment